Help me to be brave.
Help me to be hopeful.
Help me to face cheerfully and openly-
rather than reluctantly and resentfully-
whatever is coming next, wherever it is that I am going.
~Joan Bel Geddes
This quote was included in a much-loved booklet of daily inspirations compiled by a close friend and sent with me when I left for Senegal. It never ceases to amaze me that something created days, weeks, or months ahead of time can be so exactly right for a moment in the "now". This particular quote resonated with me, and has become a true reflection of my heart in the last few days.
Timely words of encouragement can make a huge difference in the face of adversity. Many of your comments, e-mails, cards, and messages have cheered me up and reassured me as I have waded my way through frustration, uncertainty and doubt in the last week. Thank you for being my trans-continental (and local) cheerleaders!
I am happy to report that each day has had its victories, small as they may be. Each day has been an improvement, and though the work is not easy and I am extremely tired, I am content.
Since the last time your heard from me...
I slept-in on Saturday (as late as I could in the heat with the power out).
Kari and I went on our first independent shopping trip.
I have had at least three lengthy conversations in French with nationals.
I created rough plans for each of my classes until the end of the month.
I taught a lesson using Dr. Seuss's The Lorax to demonstrate human-environmental relationship.
I used a melon and apples to teach the Earth's structure (core, mantle, crust).
I helped my students create nifty study tools for their definitions.
I created a story about The Crazy Bunny Catastrophe of 1932 to illustrate artifacts, primary and secondary sources, and oral history.
I was given the most amazing chocolate cake by a student's family.
I received a care-package from a friend (who loves me very much) with a book to replace one that is unreadable due to my Kindle misfortune.
My Kindle made is home with friends who traveled back to Canada. (It may even make it back to Senegal by the beginning of September)
Our house-help started working so we are living in a freshly cleaned apartment.
And my greatest personal achievement in the last week: I made delicious (and almost like home) chocolate chip cookies that were a huge hit at the Sandcastle dessert potluck last night. Things are looking up or at the very least, my perspective has changed.
Who wouldn't feel better with warm chocolate chip cookies, made from scratch, in a foreign country and the satisfaction of having made them yourself?























































your cookies look yummy, my friend!
ReplyDeleteand i would love to hear more about the crazy bunny catastrophe of 1932. it sounds very intriguing.
you know i'm not much of a hugger, so when i say that i am hugging you in my mind right now, you know how very much you are loved.
Oh friend, only YOU could make your cookies taste like your cookies in Africa. I can't even make them 3 blocks away from where they taste best (coming out of your oven, of course).
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing. Your creative juices are flowing, and I'm sure your students are eating it all up (did they get to eat your apple and melon demonstration??)
I'm overjoyed to read your highlights of the week. Soak it all in - the good and the "could be better" moments of each day - and continue to look up!!
It's funny that as you are writing about your struggles in Senegal, I am missing it as "home" more than ever. Maybe a lesson for me not to take Canada for granted, and vice versa.
ReplyDeleteBeen learning to play this song, it's beautiful, you should listen to it when you are missing Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmjdmPBzKvk
Praying for you my dear. Much love!
those cookies look delicious!! were you behind the planning of the potluck?? sounds like things are turning around in terms of school stuff... will continue praying for success and confidence in that area specifically.
ReplyDeletethink of you often... (and every time i pull on your pink or teal sweatshirt) :)
Cookies...that truly feels like home. :) Glad to hear that things are looking up! Love your melon/apple lesson idea for science!
ReplyDelete