Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Checking In

I know some of you have begun to wonder if I'm still alive. Good news...I am! There are moments when the busyness of life threatens to overwhelm me, but thankfully I have not yet succumbed to death, neither figuratively nor literally.

I have tried (and will continue to try) to post my Madrid travel log from back in December. My grandmother always told me that patience is a virtue.

In addition to my adventures in Spain, I have since ventured out to the bush a.k.a. 'rural' Senegal with a large group of staff and students. Pictures and thoughts to follow, fingers crossed.

Olympic Days at D.A. were held at the beginning of February. Students from kindergarten through to 12th grade participated in track and field events. I enjoyed cheering them on from the sidelines. I was also assigned broad jump duty (measuring and recording jump distances). Initially I was confused by the term broad jump because I had always known this event as the standing long jump. I guess it's true what they say, you learn something new everyday. In spite of my puzzlement I still managed to convince a few middle schoolers that I had been assigned this particular event because I was a broad jump champion in Canada. Don't worry, I fessed up, though I think it would have been fun to see how far the rumour spread.

As the Middle School class sponsor I helped the students host their first major event, a tournament day, last weekend. The senate decided on a three-hour soccer tournament played on the soccer court we affectionately call the Petits Poteaux. We paused for a one-hour supper break of subway style sandwiches, chips, and cookies before continuing the day with a three-hour dodge ball tournament. 7 hours, 40-some sandwiches, one broken arm, 3 hours without power, and a broken flip-flop later, the day was an overall success due to the committed planning and willing leadership of the middle school student senate and a handful of high school refs. The tournament was scheduled to end at 10pm, I was home with my feet up by 10:20pm and the delay was mostly due to the fact that I had to walk home barefoot after my flip-flop malfunction. Kudos to the kids for an event well-planned! I would go so far as to say it was practically effortless on my part.

Valentine's Day came and went without much hubaloo, as per usual.

Wednesday was my 28th birthday, gasp! I know what you're thinking..."How can she be 28? I've known her since she was 'this' big. She can't be 28, she could barely pass for 16." It's true ladies and gentlemen, I'm 28 years old and I have photo ID to prove it.

My birthday was great from beginning to end. Kari sacrificed her sleep to get up early and make me french toast and Starbucks coffee for breakfast. The staff sang happy birthday at our morning devotional and there were birthday treats in my honour. Kari's second grade class delivered a signed balloon midday, I also received cards, messages, and a beautiful bouquet of roses. The girls took me to a Brazilian restaurant for supper. It was a restaurant I have been wanting to try since my visit last year, and it was delicious. We enjoyed cake back at the apartment and to finish the day I spoke to family and friends back home. Thank you for all your birthday wishes, I feel very loved.

This past weekend was W.A.I.S.T. (West Africa Invitational Softball Tournament). The school had 6 teams playing so we were at the ballpark morning 'til night Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It was so much fun to watch a sport I love, to cheer on friends and students, to eat North American junk food, to bask in the sun without melting in the heat (yes Nichole, I wore my sunscreen), and to get a day off school to do all of the above.

Today, regrettably, it was back to reality. More adventures to follow.

In case you are still unconvinced that I am indeed alive, I have attached a recent picture as proof.

3 comments:

  1. Holy long hair, Batman!!! I'm not sure that this picture proves you're alive though. Perhaps if the photo was dated or you were holding a sign that said "The current date is..." there would be a little more legitimacy to it. But I'm afraid we'll need a video or something to actually convince us ;)

    love the curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was going to say the same thing... alicia, you're hair is so long, it's very lovely too! :)

    oh and thank you for posting... i was starting to wonder! it's a good thing i see your name pop up on skype every so often, otherwise i would be concerned!

    ReplyDelete