I know, I know, it's February but I was very proud of our Christmas decor and this is the first opportunity I have had to put this post together. My roommates and I think we may have more Christmas "stuff" here than our families in North America. Sadly the trimmings came down two weeks ago but I figure it's never too late to wish you a Merry (belated) Christmas from Dakar!
 |
| Our foyer |
 |
| Dining room (taken from the foyer) |
 |
| Living room. Our stocking are hung by the TV with care. |
 |
| Living room |
 |
| "Christmas day" at the Fort (Jan 12) |
Christmas Celebrations at the Fort: Saturday, January 12, 2013
 |
| I brought this charcoal grill back from North America. My dad advised my to use sticks and cardboard as kindling. Unfortunately we weren't able to find sticks near our apartment so I improvised with wood clothes pins. It's important to be resourceful in Senegal. | | |
|
|
| | |
| The steaks grilling The clothes pins and file folders we used as fire starters made for a nice smokey flavour ;) |
 |
| The master grillers, Emily and Cori. |
 |
| The 'fam' at Christmas dinner. |
 |
| Keren's ready to enjoy her meal. We have created a traditional menu (two years now) of steak with parmesan potatoes, fresh green beans, salad with balsamic vinaigrette, with fried onions and mushrooms. Yum! |
 |
| Dessert was chocolate mousse garnished with a snowman peep, and a side of funfetti cookies! Is your mouth watering? It should be. |
 |
| Keren's new stocking to match the 'fam'. |
 |
| Cori's matching stocking. |
 |
| Yep, we all have them. |
 |
| It's a DA rookie tradition. I got mine my first year here. |
 |
| The remnants of Christmas. |
 |
| Keren and the creepy Santa. We kept putting it around the house to freak her out because she found it unnerving. |
 |
| Our "Christmas Card" Picture. |
 |
| With love, from Dakar. |
so cute alicia! the decorations look so nice. glad to see the bbq being used. :) i love the "christmas card" too...
ReplyDeleteIs it too late to respond to this?! I'm doing it anyways :) LOVE your ability to make a house a home. Such a cozy Christmas-y place! These pictures remind me of 2 things I love about you - your attention to traditions and details, and your resourcefulness.
ReplyDelete