Thursday, July 22, 2010

From There to Here: Part 4

Just over a year ago I got sick, just a cold and some congestion. As normal as that sounds, it's extremely rare for me to admit defeat by going to doctor and calling in sick. In fact, it was four or five days before I would make an appointment and I only conceded after a "life flashing before my eyes" resulting from breathing difficulties. It was during my convalescence that I got so bored I began researching teaching opportunities abroad. What began as passing the time, soon became curiosity and subsequently, interest. I sent e-mails to China, to Morocco, to Zambia. I came across a posting for a school in Senegal but didn't send an e-mail as the posting was for high school physics and we can all imagine me standing at a blackboard struggling to explain allotropic forms (whatever those are!?!). Gradually e-mails trickled back, apparently a teaching degree IS marketable, but nothing was compelling enough to push me further than polite inquiries.

The Senegal school stayed with me. I was particularly interested in the French-speaking country and realized upon further research that we had 5 PAOC families already working there. As I began to consider my summer plans I knew that it had been far too long since I did anything missional and meaningful with my down time, I wondered about the possibility of serving as a volunteer at the school for a week or two with the potential of applying to teach in the next couple of years. As the summer approached the idea continued to swirl. I was careful to keep these musings to myself as speaking them aloud tends to make them real and all the more scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment