Friday, July 23, 2010

From There to Here: Part 5

I was out with two close friends for dinner one evening at Turtle Jack's (I highly recommend the turkey & goat cheese grilled flatbread...mmmm...delicious) when the topic of summer vacation came up. My idea to visit Senegal was still simmering so I casually mentioned the possibility as well as the several excuses as to why I hadn't already made inquiries.

Sometimes I wish my friends would just kick me in the butt, literally, because it wouldn't be as painful as it is when they kick me in the butt figuratively with the look and the tone that say, "Well what are you waiting for? Save the excuses, of course nothing's going to happen if you just keep sitting there." Under their watchful eyes I sheepishly composed an e-mail to the school's director on a napkin with assurances they would be asking me if I had followed through with sending it the next day.

I am so blessed to have friends who won't just politely listen to me talk about opportunities that are passing me by. Without their thought-provoking questioning, and unapologetic challenging I would allow myself to be paralyzed by uncertainty and apprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment